The archives area at Muskoka Discovery Centre may answer your questions about:
- Steamships, specifically those that belonged to the Muskoka Lakes Navigation Company
- Wooden boat information, specifically pertaining to the builders in Muskoka but some information on other Canadian boats
- Hotels and resorts of Muskoka, especially those of the Golden Age of Resorts
- Town, lakes and geographic places of Muskoka including maps
- Lumbering, pioneering and hunting during Muskoka’s early days
Our archives are comprised of photos, objects, post cards, magazines, books, DVD’s, posters, boat designs and textual information. The extensive collection of photographs from the last 125 years is our archive’s largest collection.
If you have a question or something you would like researched please email
Charges for Research Services
- Scan of documents or photographs $5.00 per scan.
- Research requests that take more than 15 minutes cost $25.00 per hour.
- Research requests that require less than 15 minutes – by donation to the Muskoka Steamship and Historical Society.
When we have read your request, we will send you an estimate of the time involved to complete the research.
How to pay
- In person at Muskoka Discovery Centre, 275 Steamship Bay Road, Gravenhurst, ON, P1P 1Z9
- Send donations by regular mail to the Discovery Centre per the address above.
Donation of Artifacts
If you have items pertaining to Muskoka steamships, Muskoka wooden boats or Muskoka resorts that you would like to donate to the archives at Muskoka Discovery Centre please call 705-687-2115 or use the form above. In many situations an income tax receipt can be given.